1. I shampoo my hair once a month with Giovanni Deep Moisture or Giovanni Tea Tree Therapy. Whenever I wash my hair, I loosely braid the hair in sections and wash it with the braids in.
2. I co-wash my hair once a week when my hair is in “out” styles. I co-wash my hair every two weeks when my hair is in protective styles. The reasoning for this is I usually re-do my hair once a week when I wear it out. And I re-do my hair every 2 weeks when it is in protective styles. Also, whenever I wash my hair, I loosely braid the hair in sections and wash it with the braids in.
3. Following my co-wash, I do an oil rinse with a 50:50 mixture of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and castor oil. I apply the oil to my hair, leave in about 3 minutes, and then I rinse it out.
4. Following the oil rinse, I do a deep condition with my conditioner of choice. I apply the conditioner, then put a plastic bag over my head, and leave in for 30 minutes, and then I rinse it out with cold water.
5. I sometimes follow my oil rinse with a leave-in conditioner of Suave Naturals in Coconut.
6. Each night, I oil my hair with Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO).
7. Every other night, I spritz my hair with a mixture of aloe vera juice/water/EVOO. I then follow up with EVOO and may seal my ends with shea butter/virgin coconut oil.
8. Each morning, I style my hair. Every other morning, I may seal my ends with shea butter/virgin coconut oil.
9. I try to keep my hair in protective styles the majority of the time. I try to wear “out” styles every now and then. My protective styles of choice are two strand twists, braids, and cornrow updos.
10. I detangle my hair before every wash. I have changed my detangling method from damp/dry hair to completely dry detangling. I start with a section of hair, detangle with my fingers, and then I loosely braid that section up. I always wash my hair while its braided in sections.
Things I NEVER do: (1) I don’t blow dry my hair (2) I don’t apply any heat to my hair (3) I don’t straighten my hair (4) I don’t put any pressure on my hair. (i.e. tight headbands, tight ponytails, consistently pulling the hair back, etc.) (5) I don't color my hair.