Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Individual Braids vs. Individual Twists


During these colder months, I have been wearing a number of protective styles. My favorite protective styles would have to be twist and braid updos. However, I started thinking about the pros and cons of each of the styles.

When it comes to individual twists:
Pros - (1) It is much faster to put these in (2) The hair looks fuller and thicker with the twists (3) For some reason, its easier to do updos with twists. I think this is due to its flexibility (4) The take-down process is so much easier with the twists (not including the detangling part) (5) Great protective style
Cons - (1) If I leave twists in for 2 weeks or more it is very hard to detangle my hair. It takes no time for it to start locking up (2) The twists get that older look faster (3) If I wash my hair while the twists are still in they will unravel and get frizzy/fuzzy

When it comes to individual braids:
Pros - (1) This style lasts longer than twists (2) I can put these in my hair and not have to worry about them starting to lock after 2 weeks (3) The detangling process is not much work at all with the braids. I can just take them down. (4) I can wash my hair with the braids and they will still look fresh (5) Great protective style.
Cons - (1) Braids do not give the hair a fuller look (2) It takes me longer to put the braids in than the twists (3)It actually takes longer to take the braids out (4) It is rather difficult to put the braids into cute updos. I have to strategically place the hair.

So, as you can see there are benefits and limitations to having either one of these styles. I can't really say which style I prefer. It really just depends on the mood that I am in. I do know that these are great protective styles and they keep my hands out of my hair.

3 comments:

  1. That's a nice hair style. Gave me an idea for a twist up do. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liked this articles because the statements were so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is amazingly beautiful! I'll try something similar for myself for church. Thank you. Keep sharing other natural styles!

    ReplyDelete