Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Why I Won't Straighten My Hair


Disclaimer: I am not here to judge. I am simply discussing my reasons for not straightening my natural hair.

Seriously, off topic: This week has been somewhat stressful and busy for me. I have been trying to get in the final things needed for my application to graduate school. Really, I had all of the required material mailed at the very beginning of December 2010. The remaining material needed was my recommendation letters. And even though I notified my past instructors back in December it has still be a headache to ensure that they get the letters in. The deadline is fast-approaching and I just need to get this out of the way. Ok, I'm off the soap box. Back to the scheduled program...

My Reason for Not Straightening My Hair:
1. I am not searching for a "new" look
2. I don't feel I need to straighten my hair to trim it
3. I don't feel the need to check the length
4. I don't want heat damage
5. I don't want people to even see my natural hair straight (they may get attached)
6. I don't like how straight hair looks on me
7. I adore my hair in its natural state

I could go into detail about each of these reasons but, I figured I would just put it out there. When I decided to go natural I knew I had to change my mindset completely about what I considered "pretty" hair. I feel that I was successful in doing this. So much so that I fully embraced my natural hair.

I don't even want to go there by straightening my hair. There are too many downsides to straightening hair and then people get too attached to the straight hair. My natural hair is me and this is what you get.

I discussed my thoughts briefly on this topic and you can check it out HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment