Thursday, July 21, 2011
Fears for My Natural Hair
I have realized that there are some things that I am hesitant to try--or won't try--with my natural hair. These hesitations usually occur if I feel the process will cause breakage or damage to my natural hair. Below I have listed a few of my fears for my natural hair:
1. The ponytail. I used to be a person that would rock a ponytail in a hot minute (during my relaxed days). I then thought that when my natural hair got to the length to wear it in a ponytail that I would rock it a lot. However, I don't. I am so afraid of the ponytail. Simply because I feel that the ponytail would cause stress to my edges and breakage around the area where the band is. Maybe my fears are crazy but, I do feel it will be awhile before I can rock a ponytail comfortably.
2. Pressure. This is probably my BIGGEST fear for my natural hair. I had a major hair mishap over a year ago from having continuous pressure in one spot. I pretty much lost hair in the spot and had a bald patch. And even though that spot has grown back now, I never want to repeat that mistake. For this reason, you will hardly ever see me rock headbands or even wear bobby pins in the same spot. I love hairstyles that require no outside force to hold it--such as twists, cornrows, out styles, etc.
3. Applying gel to my edges and brushing them. I see other naturals do this but, I don't think I will ever start brushing my edges. I just don't think smooth edges is that big of deal to me so, I just don't go there. I want to maintain as much length on my edges as possible and don't want to damage it.
4. Sleeping with my hair out. I can't sleep with my hair out. I won't sleep with my hair out. Enough said.
5. Dry hair. Dry hair = Breakage. For this reason, I embrace moisture, moisture, and more moisture.
6. Straightening. I don't have plans to ever straighten my natural hair. I have heard too many heat damage stories and I just don't dig the straight look. (I am talking for myself and am not casting judgement on others.)
Those are my main fears for the moment. Do you have any fears for your natural hair or things that you refuse to do to your natural hair--even though they seem to work for others?