Tuesday, November 16, 2010

NOT a Staple Product: Cantu Shea Butter Leave In


Now, I know that there are many naturals who are big fans of this products and I am not knocking them at all. This is just a personal review of my experience with this product. But, we must remember we all have different heads of hair and what works for one may not work for another. Now on to the review...

I first bought this product when I began transitioning. I really did not know the results of it on my hair because I kept my hair cornrowed through most of my transition. Then, when I was fully natural I wasn't really feeling the results from the leave-in. I feel a leave-in should leave your hair feeling soft, moisturized, etc. But, this did none of those things. Then, this past weekend I decided to give Cantu another try for my braid-out. And I realized I hated this product! My hair was weighed down, felt so nasty because of build-up, and a white film was left on some parts of the hair that was hard to get off.

Ingredients: Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) (Shea Butter), Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean), Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium 37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG 1 Trideceth 6, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Stearalkonium Chloride, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Panthenol, PPG 1 PEG 9 Lauryl Glycol Ether, Lanolin Oil, Cinnamidopropyl Trimonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Acrylamidopropyltrimonium Chloride/Acrylamide Copolymer, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Benzophenone 3, BHA, BHT, Zea Mays Oil (Corn), Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, DMDM Hydrantoin, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum)

Cons:
1. Leaves the hair feeling weighed down.
2. Takes away the natural volume of natural hair.
3. Leave a nasty filmy build-up.
4. Contains one of the worst silicones, which means its hard to get off of your hair.
5. This product actually has warnings on the back of it. I just noticed this the past weekend.
6. One of warnings state: "Avoid applying directly to new growth." Uh, my whole head is new growth. Duh.
7. I feel this product is mainly targeted towards relaxed tresses.

Pros:
1. Very economical price (But, I can understand why.)
2. You get a lot of product (But, again, I can understand why.)

4 comments:

  1. I remember trying the cantu shea butter leave in and the build up it leaves behind, and the ingredients turned me off to the product as well. I haven't used in after the first purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, Vibrant1. I was trying to get some use out of it since I spent my whole $5 on it (lol) but, I just don't like this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was just me that didn't like this product. Shea butter products makes my scalp itch.

    ReplyDelete