Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Advice From Fellow Naturals


First off, I apologize for my hiatus. But, I am now back in the game.

So, the natural community is so warm and welcoming. Since I have been natural, I have met other naturals and we would share and discuss what works for us and what doesn't. Even on this blog, many of you offer me great advice that has helped me in my natural journey (YouTube subscribers also helps with this). Also, it doesn't hurt having 2 natural sisters (My other sister went back to the relaxer) to give me great advice and keep me up-to-date. So, I begin to think about the vast advice I have been given and what has worked for me and what hasn't. They are below...

1. "Walking around the house while shaking your head at random moments will allow for you hair to fully air dry." I remember I received this advice from one of my followers and I also heard MsVaughn of YouTube say she did this. But, this just does not work for me! I tried it again this past Sunday. I walked around the house starting at 5:00 pm until 11:00 pm---doing various chores and what not. And the next morning my hair was still wet. So, my braid-out turned into a textured afro but, I still liked it.

2. "Blow dry on cold air." This is the advice given from many naturals on YouTube. This is to avoid heat damage, which I can understand. I have tried to blow dry on cold air twice and I didn't like it. I felt like I was getting no where so, I just decided to stick to the air drying. You know I ain't putting that dryer on anything higher than cold (I avoid all types of heat). The blow dryer is now used to hurry along the drying of any handwashed clothing:-)

3. "Oil rinsing will help your hair." My sister, Auset, gave me this advice and it is one of the best things I've ever done for my hair! I use a 50:50 mixture of castor oil and EVOO each time I wash. I leave it in for about 2-3 minutes--making sure to dip my hair ends in the mixture--and then wash it out. (I will then continue to co-wash, deep condition, etc.) The sheen my hair has after this is out of this world! And I love that some of that oil stays on my hair so, I don't have to worry about oiling my hair after I wash it:-)

4. "Detangle on dry/damp hair." This method is the truth! I have experienced a significant decrease in shed hair, washing now goes by in a breeze, and it doesn't take forever to detangle. I think I've said it all!

I am pretty open to taking advice from other naturals. As long as it doesn't entail heat, blowing out, etc. But, as you can see some things may works for some but, it may not work for me. And I am sure that some of the things that I practice may not work for others. However, I still love the advice nonetheless. So, keep it coming!

I actually have received so much more advice than this but, I think I will save it for another post...

No comments:

Post a Comment